[OSM-talk] how are runways related to an airport/aerodrome

Madhav Vodnala mvodnala at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 05:24:03 BST 2009

All that runway 'way' XML contains is one tag
that says it's a runway. The problem is there is no easy way to
correlate a runway to its airport.

The wiki convention does not create any problem for visual map style
applications,
because they have spatial awareness.

The problem is for non-visual applications, especially the one am working
on.

I created an OSM file/table that contains only runways in the world. Another
OSM file contains only airports. Am looking for an easy locate
the airport for a given runway.

For eg. Entering 30L in a search window should bring up "SJC" as
the result. Note there can be multiple runways named 30L.

Hope that clarifies the issue.

Thanks
Madhav