[OSM-talk] [Tag] "Ref" in "link"

Xav x at nainwak.com
Wed Jun 24 16:02:28 BST 2009

Hi all,

On this page :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_link
it is implicitly written that the "ref" of a "link" should be the reference of
the road from which the link depends. For example, a "motorway_link" to/from
the motorway "A 1" will be referenced as "A 1".

Generally, this schema doesn't work. Indeed, links depends of TWO roads, and
regularly with two roads of the same type. Examples in France : link between
the "A 11" and the "A 10" near Paris, or a lot of links between secondary
roads.

What do you think about referencing the links with the exit reference ? I do not
know how it works in other countries, but in France, every exit usually has a
reference.

Some will say there is already a tag : "highway=motorway_junction". Should we
add highway=trunk_junction, highway=primary_junction,
highway=secondary_junction, etc. ?
I think the tag ("highway=motorway_junction") is a patch for the map to be drawn
correctly.

Xav

PS.
For Mapnik and every other renderers : what about reducing the size of the links
compared to the main roads ? As in Google Maps. It's much more readable.

PPS.
And what about replacing every :
  highway=YYYYY_link
with :