[OSM-talk] Map legends: Another option

Lars Ahlzen lars at ahlzen.com
Sat Jun 27 00:17:40 BST 2009

Hi All,

I know that there's been some talk about generating map legends/keys
lately, and I don't know if there's a need for another option. It
generated some interest when I mentioned it in my diary recently, however...

I created a python script that generates an HTML legend (with images)
based on a description of features to be included and one or more Mapnik
XML configuration files. Thus, I can automatically generate legends for
each zoom level of my map. If I modify the map style, I can just run the
script again.

Example at: http://toposm.com/ma/

(click on "Show/Hide Legend" at the bottom right). It's dynamic, so it
will reload when you zoom in and out.

It was created for the TopOSM project, but it may be useful to other
projects that use Mapnik for rendering.

The script itself, and more info, is available at:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TopOSM#Map_legend

- Lars

--
Lars Ahlzen