[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] The Illustrated ODbL

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 2 01:37:19 GMT 2009

Hi,

richard at weait.com wrote:
> I've attempted to illustrate ways to use the OpenStreetMap database under
> ODbL and comply with the ODbL obligations.

The box at the end of the "Produced Work" stream says: "Share Alike is
required if database is derivative. Attribution is always required." -
It should perhaps be made clear that Share Alike of the Produced Work is
never required; only sharing the derivative database may be required.

Of course your illustration also glosses over a lot of open questions
being discussed here, for example your illustrations clearly say that
something that comes out of osm2pgsql is not already a derived database
(we're not clear about this yet, the license seems to say otherwise!),
and your illustrations also clearly say that tiles are not a database
(another thing that is not clear).

Also, you're using the phrase "Convey Produced Work..." which, while
proper English, seems to clash with the ODbL's own use of the word
"Convey" (ODbL only ever uses the word for databases, not Produced
Works), so maybe replace this by simply "publish"?

You say that the Produced Work can be put under any license; I used so
say that as well but at the moment it looks like the Produced Work can
never be under any "Free" license (such as CC-something, GFDL, ...)
because these licenses do not allow you to add the extra "by the way,
reverse engineering will cause X" clause that ODbL mandates.

These are, of course, all somewhat open issues that we hope to resolve
one way or another.

Bye
Frederik