[OSM-talk] highway=secondary_link (was: Re: Bad Bot Activity)

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Mon Mar 2 10:59:33 GMT 2009

Grant Slater wrote:
> Annoying... Stop stripping highway = xxx_link

The examples you gave were all of the completely undocumented
highway=secondary_link. It would be incorrect to say that the edits
apply to highway=*_link; I can see several trunk_link and primary_link
ways in my area completely unaffected by this edit.

But that doesn't excuse bad bot behaviour. This is bad bot behaviour.

Given that the "Mapnik" layer renders secondary_link, perhaps it should
be documented on the wiki. I tend to prefer documented tags wherever
possible, but also there are multi-lane secondaries in my area with
fairly complex (flared, split, bypassing) roundabout approaches, so I'd
really like this tag. Using little segments of unclassified or service
road is Technically Wrong and Bad Data. I hate feeling I have to do it.

I'd be in favour of someone Just Adding It to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway . Anyone want to give it
a go?

--
Andrew Chadwick