[OSM-talk] License plan

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Mar 3 11:02:32 GMT 2009

Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Personally I am feeling excluded from what's going on behind
> the scenes and I think this is not the way for a project that
> has "open" in his name ...

If it helps, there _isn't_ anything going on behind the scenes... well, at
least not that I know of.

Post in German, or French, or whatever, on here if you like - we all have
Google Translate, someone will step up to translate manually, and it's a
million times better than not posting. Put stuff on the wiki. Ask questions.
Vent. Rant. Anything from a misplaced capital in ODbL to a serious doubt
about the entire licensing philosophy. Just say it.

Far, far better that you speak up and post "I'm worried about this
because...", even in Schwabisch dialect if you like, than you sit there in
silence thinking "there's this conspiracy to make OSM commercial and I feel
left out". Because There Is No Cabal. Look around you - who's organised
enough to come up with a conspiracy? If there was a conspiracy they'd be
doing it better. But OSM is at heart a disorganised rabble - that's why the
communication on the licence issue has been shit, yes, but that's also why
we've mapped large portions of the world, because you couldn't organise it
better than that.

I've said it a million times before but: there is no "you" in this project,
there is only "us". Of course, this might be why Steve thinks I'm a filthy
communist.

If I could cross-post this to talk-de, talk-fr, talk-it and the rest, I
would do.

cheers
Richard