[OSM-talk] Front page design and SEO - layer names

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Mar 3 12:34:48 GMT 2009

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 03:12:21 -0800 (PST), Richard Fairhurst
<richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Andy Allan wrote:
>> Quite. Can someone please come up with names for the two "main"
>> styles that aren't just the technology that creates them?
>
> Mapnik -> Standard (or maybe 'Classic')
> Osmarender -> Community

A good suggestion, although your choices are a bit loaded. It's not clear
that it's the distributed rendering of the data that makes one more
"community" than the other. The data is all community, as are the style
sheets more or less. Without getting into a lengthy explanation, all that
distinguishes the first two layers is the technology to render them and the
cartographic style. The next two layers are for a transport mode and for
mappers.

So on the simple basis that one technology came before another, and it's
all a matter of personal taste, and one style is the default:

- Standard map
- Classic map
- Cycle map
- Missing names (I can't help think this would be better as an overlay like
maplint)

Regards,
Tom