[OSM-talk] License plan

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Mar 3 16:18:52 GMT 2009

Hi,

> except that the ODbL does represent a fundamental change in licensing
> of map images - previously they were sharealike, but with ODbL it will
> only require attribution?

The source data will be available for anyone.

So either the cartographer has invested a lot of time to artfully create
a beautiful map that nobody else can make; in which case I'm tempted to
say let him enjoy ownership of the result.

Or he has simply run some automated rendering engine, in which case
anyone else can trivially do the same.

Share-alike starts to eat itself if it becomes too greedy. Results of
"map image share-alike" are (a) map image does not get produced at all
or (b) map image is produced and available to OSM for tracing data off
of it. Neither helps bring OSM forward.

Bye
Frederik