[OSM-talk] License plan

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 4 14:12:01 GMT 2009

Hi,

Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> Main OSM database is not a
> place to store PD data to be extracted out afterwards. I suppose it is not even
> OK to add POIs with Potlatch and read them back to JOSM for making a local copy.

That is disputed; there are those who say that something cannot lose its
PD-ness by being transferred through a PD-unfriendly environment.

> One question:  All edits of PD mappers could of course be tranferred under the
> new license even without asking us.  But is is possible to connect our PD
> declarations in the wiki with our OSM data in a reliable way so that the tranfer
> could be automatic?  User names used for mapping and in the wiki are not the
> same thing, or are they?

They are not; but there is a template that people can use on their Wiki
pages to give the name(s) they're mapping under. Was it "{{User}}"? Not
sure.

I think that before interpreting a Wiki PD dedication one would need to
take a close look (Wiki user pages can be modified by anybody). Maybe we
should, before we delete someone's data, do a quick check if we find him
on the Wiki and he has PD'ed his data, by way of a manual process.

Bye
Frederik