[OSM-talk] License plan - minimum-legalese option

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Mar 4 17:14:12 GMT 2009

Peter Miller wrote:

> The clear advice (verbal so far) from our lawyer is that in the
> UK/EU map data is covered by copyright (as well as DB rights).

I will quote the following from an Ordnance Survey agreement as much for
people's amusement as for edification.

    "Intellectual Property Rights means copyright, patent, trade
    mark, design right, topography right, database right, trade
    secrets, know-how, rights of confidence, broadcast rights
    and all other similar rights anywhere in the world whether
    or not registered and including applications for registration
    of any of them"

I have not made any of that up. Though I think Fake Ed Parsons put it more
succinctly:

    "Not only do we own all your data, we also own your
    trademarks, your logo and your fucking pet cat. Thanks."

As ever with these things, either you join in on the arms race (which is why
ODbL has three prongs: copyright, database right, contract), or you put down
your arms and hope enough people will respect it (PD).

cheers
Richard