[OSM-talk] licence plan - Question about supplying own data

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 18:47:35 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk>wrote:

> If you were able to extract coordinates then this could be regarded as
> reverse engineering the Produced Work, in which case it's covered by
> 4.7

It is not done by "You" or on "Your behalf". So you cannot make a map and
then start reverse engineering, since you are bound by the license/contract,
but a random user of the map can do this.

I think such a clause makes a lot of sense. You cannot make a special
purpose rendering, showing just the information you want to reverse
engineer, and at just the right scale, to circumvent the license. On the
other side, things like normal geocoding of images would be no problem. I
don't think anyone see any need for users releasing their picture database.

This can also, to a limited degree, be a larger loophole if large amounts of
maps are distributed as SVG or other formats that are easier to reverse
engineer from. I still think it is reasonable to be perfectly clear that
things like geocoding images are allowed, without any need to share the
result.

  - Gustav