[OSM-talk] OSM license change: A license to kill? -> How to make a nightmare come true!

Nop ekkehart at gmx.de
Wed Mar 4 20:02:35 GMT 2009

Hi!

Iván Sánchez Ortega schrieb:
> El Miércoles, 4 de Marzo de 2009, Ulf Lamping escribió:
>> Hopefully you know and trust the lawyers, foundation, whoever, ...
>> involved. WE PROBABLY DON'T KNOW THEM SO WHY SHOULD WE MAGICALLY TRUST
>> THEM?!?
>
> Because they are more knowledgeable in their field than we are.
>

> I do think this is another ad-hominem attack against the ODbL.
>
> By using your same way of thinking, I shouldn't use my car because I don't
> know and trust the designers and assemblers that built it. Counter-examples
> could go on and on.

The mappers don't know them and have no reason to trust them. They will
have to prove that they are more knowledgable, but with the prior
non-information policy they have not even shown that they *care* about
the mappers opinions at all.

So they are not to be compared to the designers of your car, but rather
to the used car salesman approaching you and trying to sell you a new one.

I am arguing in favor of the new licence, but with the way this was
conducted I can understand everybody who feels overrun, forced and badly
informed.

bye
	Nop