[OSM-talk] licence plan - Question about supplying own data

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Mar 5 01:39:59 GMT 2009

On 4 Mar 2009, at 15:56, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Matt Amos wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
>> > wrote:
>>> Your 8 year old kids would be obliged to license their butterfly
>>> data under the ODbL [1] and attribute OSM.
>>>
>>> [1] Ignoring potential bug in 0.9 draft
>>
>> its not a bug, its a feature ;-)
>
> Well... a feature that would allow Google to assimilate our minutely
> diffs into their giant database where they mix it with TeleAtlas and
> Navteq data to provide tiles that display the "best of three worlds"
> and
> neither share the tiles nor anything in between.

So Pillar Three in Steve's Understanding of Law is the people,
culture, intent documents and paraphernalia of functioning human
society. Google may well be able to use all our data today but they
don't. They don't for some other important reasons like the sometimes
fractious community or I don't know, that it's not complete yet. But
really it's that if they do something wrong we will protest on their
lawn just like the people fighting SCO right?

One of the things I didn't mention in my long post an that most of you
clearly don't understand is that a court takes *intent* in to account
as guidence in any license dispute. So like case law you can spend all
the time you like reading the letter of the license but if the intent
was clearly elsewhere *it doesn't matter*.

Please please try and understand this stuff, it makes it all so much
easier.

> That "feature" is something that was introduced without so much as a
> word from anyone between the April 2008 and the 0.9 drafts. If this
> were
> intentional, then someone had to hang for trying to deceive the
> community.

You're doing it again - jumping to the conclusion that it was all Evil
Jordan or Evil Steve.

You can come to my house and I will make you dinner and you can
inspect under my bed there is no satanic portal to the 3rd circle of
Hell. In fact you are all welcome. I will cook you my awesome (awsum)
organic, 100% Free Of Everything cracked pepper penne with organic
local spicy sausages and fresh sauce and we can hunt together! But I
want a being John Malkovich kind of portal where I turn in to Shaun
McDonald and go on 115 mile bike rides.

Deal?

> And I would personally tie the rope because I have tirelessly
> advocated ODbL to anyone who was stupid enough to ask me by saying
> that
> we let go of Produced Works and replace this with demands made on
> interim derived databases that would never see the light of day under
> CC-BY-SA. But... cockup rather than conspiracy.

yes... it so often is

Best

Steve