[OSM-talk] Derived coordinates are facts (was: Re: Question about supplying own data)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 5 01:41:37 GMT 2009

Hi,

SteveC wrote:
> Very unlikely, derived individual coordinates are facts. I've asked
> multiple lawyers about this personally.

There is a popular project in Switzerland called openaddresses.ch. What
they do is they display Google Aerial imagery and ask contributors to
identify individual houses and assign house numbers. The typical OA
contributor actually walks along the road much like an OSM mapper does,
and notes down house numbers, but the coordinates are later derived -
manually and individually by the person who walked the street - from the
aerial image.

We have until now been reluctant to import OA data because many people
in OSM felt that these might be "tainted", although OA does not see it
this way and would happily make their data available.

Do you think we could, cautiously, go ahead and evaluate a possible
import of their data in the light of what you've written above? They
have already collected around 150k addresses.

Bye
Frederik