[OSM-talk] License plan

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Mar 5 01:55:57 GMT 2009

On 27 Feb 2009, at 05:04, Ben Laenen wrote:

> It looks like we finally got some kind of "License plan" for the step
> towards the new license, so everyone check
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Implementation_Plan
>
> Let me start with the obvious questions first:
>

> * why don't you split between the votes whether you like license X and
> the question whether you're allowing the change of license on your
> data?
>
> After all, I want to have an idea *how much* of the data will still be
> there after the second vote. If it turns out that any data from
> someone
> who gave his approval would be deleted, then count me as no vote.

so vote method is an interesting constraint... but I think we're being
really hardcore in making sure that everyone who added data has to
agree or we reset the process back to zero.

> * I still have no response to the question what would happen with my
> data if it's derived from someone who doesn't give it's approval for a
> license change.

My view, personally, is that it should be dropped. But y'know I just
don't think it will happen like that. If we build a positive process
and bring people with us then we'll get the majority of the people
along. We will lose small bits of data but thats ok, we have fantastic
volunteer community to fix those edges, we'll be in shape in no time.

> And how are you going to check that anyway? You can do lots of things
> with CC-BY-SA data (copying, splitting, merging) where it's impossible

Well it's all in the database... every single edit (oh and the dump of
the segments stuff). Because one day, about 4.5 years ago I knew it
would be needed and designed it in. No need to thank me. No. Really.

> My understanding is for example that if you split a way, there's not a
> single connection between the two parts of the way telling that one
> derived from the other.

I can't comment on what potlatch does to my beautiful database.

> And what with the countless relations? If there's one way added to
> it by
> someone that didn't give approval, the only thing you can do is remove
> the relation as it was derived from CC-BY-SA data. Goodbye to your
> hundreds of kilometers long routes.

Be positive Ben-san. All will work out if we build it together, lets
not drop it all at step one. Lets start from the fact we want to have
a great license. That it wont be perfect but it is a fantastic first
step and that if we build it together then we will get there and get
on with the most important thing in our world - building the map.

> * "Website to allow users to voluntarily agree to new license. Design
> allows you to click yes, or if you disagree a further page explaining
> the position and asking to reconsider as there may be a requirement to
> ultimately remove the users data. This will help stop people
> accidentally clicking 'no'. Sign up page now states you agree to
> license your changes under both CCBYSA and also ODbL."
>
> Question: how's that not pushing the new license onto the mappers?

You remember the entire plan is open to comment right? You can suggest
an alternative like wait until an asteroid hits and wipes out
civilisation.... Then we won't need to worry about the license!

Best

Steve