[OSM-talk] License to kill

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Mar 5 09:11:34 GMT 2009

On 5 Mar 2009, at 00:29, SteveC wrote:

>> For your interest my company's lawyer (acting for ITO World Ltd) is
>> hoping to have her response together in relation to the license by
>> the end of tomorrow. My company will review her comments and hope
>> to be able to make that document publicly available to the
>> community by the end of this week. She may also give opinion on
>> some Use Cases and Open Issues which could be useful.
>
> Great. Are those opinions in relation to ITO!s business or from the
> point of view purely of the use cases?

They will be from ITO's business perspective and we will focus mainly
on Use Cases that matter to our business however we are in many ways a
'typical' business as as such our advice may well be of relevant to
other businesses, especially ones using the same Use Cases and
particularly ones that operate in the UK.

We will also look at whether the license works for the project as a
whole because we want that to work as well however we would encourage
other to also get legal opinion from there perspectives. If they can
share the advise with the OSM/ODbL community then so much the better.

A 'pure' OSM perspective should of course come from the OSMF lawyer
and I hope you/the 'licensing group' will be able to explain some of
the outstanding Use Cases to him so he can give an opinion. Is that
going to be possible within the consultation phase?

Regards,

Peter