[OSM-talk] What if ODBl 1.0 is superseeded by ODBl 2.0

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 11:49:12 GMT 2009

>> I would be very keen to take a leaf out of the GPL world here, and
>license
>> the data under
>> "ODBL 1.0 or later". That means if and when 2.0 comes out (which it
>surely
>> will) the data are automatically
>> covered by the new version. When 2.0 does come out, that changes to "ODBL
>> 2.0 or later" for all new data
>
>I agree completely.
>If we don't do this we will have this mess again in a
>few years.

Or more likely, a few months with ODBL 1.1, which fixes a use case that no-one thought of. With the best will in the world, it's not going to be perfect first time round, and just as GPLv3 made late changes as a result of an agreement between Microsoft and Novell, there could be a legal case somewhere in the world which highlights the need for a change.

Donald