[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] License to kill

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Mar 5 17:15:03 GMT 2009

On 5 Mar 2009, at 16:09, SteveC wrote:

> On 4 Mar 2009, at 23:24, 80n wrote:
>>
>> We shouldn't let other people's timescales force our own decisions.
>> If more time is needed, and there is a lot of opinion that suggests
>> it is, if the current issues cannot be resolved by April 1 then of
>> course we have the option to give ourselves more time.
>

> Sure but we can also build a space laser if we want to. You're taking
> the benefit side in to account but not the cost.
>
> If we get 99% there with version 1.0 and version 2.0 takes the next
> two years then the cost benefit, to me, would suggest 1.0 as the
> better deal.

Lets first get the consultation input into Jordan, then lets read the
updated draft, then comment again if that is requested, then wait for
the final draft for version 1. We can then decide as a community if we
are happy to proceed (which I think we will). If there is a big
problem then I suspect that a version 1.1 could be turned round
quickly to address it.

So....

Rather than distracting us with discussion of space lasers possibly
you could help us by commenting on some of the open issues.

I would like you opinion on a few particular ones:
1) What is a substantial extract?
2) What happens in places where there is no database directive?
3) What is the Boundary between a Database and a Produced Work
4) Approval from large donated datasets
5) Which features can be retained in the license change?
6) How can one control what is done with a Produced Work that has been
released under Public Domain?

These issues and others can be found here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Open_Issues

Regards,

Peter