[OSM-talk] licence plan - Question about supplying own data

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 00:01:27 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:42:54AM -0000, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
> One thing we should not loose sight of in this process is what OSM is
> collecting, and thus the limit of what we might wish to see contributed
> back. The locations of butterflies and endangered species are examples of
> transient data and some might argue it's not therefore something we would
> want in OSM anyway. Limiting the applicability of the licence to relevant
> data is not something I've personally thought about before, but it might
> need considering if it has not been thus far.

That assumes that derivative data always goes back to OSM.  If OSM
doesn’t want the locations of butterflies, then it doesn’t have to
incorporate it.  Someone else may want to use the locations of
butterflies.  If they’re licensed under a free licence, this should be
possible.  Distributing free data doesn’t mean always contributing
directly back to the original project (that’s quite restrictive IMO, and
fails the desert island test[1] (a test for free software, but the same
principle applies)), it means making it available for others to use.

[1]: http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html#desert_island
simple system that works.—John Gall