[OSM-talk] proposal navaid (was re: mapping the sea)

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:42:52 GMT 2009

Hi, I added a proposal idea, i just wanted to get some feedback.
The proposal for '
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/sea_mark'<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/sea_mark>
doesn't quite cover for navigational aids.
I would like to include all type of navigational aids under this tag, as a
"man_made=buoy' is something that floats, and a "man_made=lighthouse" is
something that is on the ground.
For navigational aids that do not float but have special
colours/markings/numbers to tell water users where to go.  The current
proposal seems to limit navigation on 'lakes & rivers ... if i am working on
A lake area and wanting to mark it, i wouldn't think of 'sea_mark' .. as im
not on a 'sea' :-)

So "navaid=lighhouse"  "navaid=buoy" .. "navaid=IHO" where IHO is the
technical reference for the Image id.  ... and "navaid=seamark" (might be
the official term)??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_navigational_chart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Chart_Display_and_Information_System

This opens up a whole new can of worms, as its possible to make public the
ENC maps. ... so then all boaters can freely access the maps, rather than
having to purchase them... and an expensive cost, and holding a monopoly on
the information that should be made available for free.  As this
information benefits all water traffic.

Cheers,
Sam