[OSM-talk] Multilingual map

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Mon Mar 9 15:35:26 GMT 2009

2009/3/9 Celso González <celso at mitago.net>

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 08:01:42PM +0800, D Tucny wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been thinking about how it would be good to have the map available
> in
> > multiple languages... I think the easiest way to do this with what we
> have
> > is using a captionless base layer and transparent caption layers for each
> of
> > the languages... So... I put this thinking into practice and put together
> > proof of concept at http://osm.newportcoastsoftware.com
>
> > This is just a proof of concept, it will likely disappear at some
> point...
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions, or sees any problems, let me know...
>
> Could you post some of the xml used to generate the tiles?

I've put the files used to generate the tiles in
http://osm.newportcoastsoftware.com/mapnik

osm-template-local-nocap.xml is the template for the captionless layer
osm-template-local-caps.xml is the template for the captions layers
names-list is the list of names layers

osm-template-local-nocap.xml is turned into osm.xml using
customize-mapnik-map-nocap, which is customize-mapnik-map with the source
filename changed...
osm.template-local-caps.xml is turned into all the osm.xml.*cap files using
make-cap-osm-xml which is customize-mapnik-map changed to loop through the
contents of names-list to generate the osm.xml.*cap files...

Anything else, let me know...