[OSM-talk] immutable=yes Fwd: DEC Lands

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Mon Mar 9 18:25:24 GMT 2009

Earlier, I proposed that certain datasets should be immutable; whether
by policy or mechanism as needed.  I propose importing the NYS DEC
Lands as an immutable set of data.  If you read this exchange with
Robert Morrell, you can see why they feel that NO changes AT ALL are
appropriate.  I agree with them.  This dataset constitutes a legal
description of the property managed by the NYS Department of
Environmental Conservation, and changes by any OSM editor are not
consistent with the nature of the data.

How do people feel about me importing this data (with all of their
metadata), adding an immutable=yes tag, with the intent of tracking
their dataset, and deleting --outright-- any changes made by OSM
editors.

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> Robert Morrell
>> Senior Land Surveyor
>> Bureau of Real Property
>> Division of Lands and Forests
>> NYS Dept. Environmental Conservation
>> 625 Broadway
>> Albany NY 12233-4256
>> 518-402-9442

>> I realize that it's not appropriate to edit the data, and in fact we
>> can keep track of any changes, and either revert them if they are
>> obviously incorrect, or submit them back to you if they seem to be
>> legitimate.  Why would someone make a purposeful edit?  Perhaps they
>> were out in the field with a GPS, and noticed that the signage
>> disagrees with the map?  Of course, it may be the signage that's
>> wrong, but either way it's an issue worthy of resolution.
>>
>> OpenStreetMap is a combination of imported data and user-generated
>> data.  If you're familiar with Wikipedia, OpenStreetMap is very
>> similar in concept, only for geodata.  Imported data goes into the
>> map
>> under its own userid, and all of your metadata is preserved.  If
>> someone edits anything, it's recorded under their username, so we
>> know
>> who made the edit.
>>
>> The reason that I ask for permission is that data in OpenStreetMap
>> may
>> be further downloaded by users.  We have an API.  Anyone can make API
>> queries for, say, a bounding box, and received a download of
>> everything inside that box.  That would include the DEC Lands data.
>> We try very hard not to infringe anyone's copyright.  No copyright is
>> claimed in your metadata, but of course under the Berne Convention a
>> copyright exists nonetheless, and we need your permission to be able
>> to redistribute the data.
>>
>> On Mar 9, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Robert Morrell wrote:
>>
>>> Any data the Department puts on the clearing house is open to the
>>> Public to download.
>>>
>>> I see below you discuss "Anybody who makes additions  or
>>> corrections to the data must share them with others."
>>>
>>> It would not be appropriate to edit this data in any manor.
>>>
>>> What kind of software is this?
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>

>>> Robert Morrell
>>> Senior Land Surveyor
>>> Bureau of Real Property
>>> Division of Lands and Forests
>>> NYS Dept. Environmental Conservation
>>> 625 Broadway
>>> Albany NY 12233-4256
>>> 518-402-9442

>>> Larry, is it acceptable use to import the "DEC Lands" dataset:
>>> http://www.nysgis.state.ny.us/gisdata/inventories/details.cfm?
>>> DSID=1114
>>> Into OpenStreetMap?  I plan to do a full import of all your
>>> metadata,
>>> so that when you revise your dataset, I can re-import the data and
>>> replace the existing data.
>>>
>>> Note that the license on OpenStreetMap is Creative Commons
>>> Share-Alike.  That means that anybody who uses it must acknowledge
>>> the