[OSM-talk] immutable=yes Fwd: DEC Lands

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Mon Mar 9 22:22:53 GMT 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> OSM is about to have a *free* database. Saying "your not allowed to
> change the data" is *not* a free database as I understand it.

For this particular case, it's not that you're not "allowed" to change
the data -- it's that it makes no sense to change the data.  The data
is an assertion by the DEC of what lands it manages.  By definition
nobody can change that data -- because then it wouldn't have the same
meaning.  And as the fellow points out, there's nothing you can
determine from examining the site which would give you reason or
information necessary to change the data.  You could find a sign not
on the boundary -- but that would mean that the sign was wrong -- not
that the boundary should be moved.

But this raises a larger question.  I have some reason to assert a
claim of authority for railroad data for New York State.  How would
you react to me staking a claim on NYS railroad data in OSM, saying
"fair warning: if you edit any railroad data in NYS, I will revert
your changes unless I approve of them."  Obviously the potential
exists for a revert war, but given that I have a reasonable claim for
my authority (e.g. http://rutlandtrail.org/list.cgi), why would
someone else edit data that I am more expert in?

Yes, this is a very high-level topic; much higher than any import.
Is there room in OSM for people to make more authoritative edits than
other people?  On what basis are we to evaluate the quality of edits?
How do we know if a particular edit improves or degrades the accuracy
of the map?

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson