[OSM-talk] immutable=yes Fwd: DEC Lands

Mon Mar 9 22:46:35 GMT 2009

Russ Nelson wrote:

> How do people feel about me importing this data (with all of their
> metadata), adding an immutable=yes tag, with the intent of tracking
> their dataset, and deleting --outright-- any changes made by OSM
> editors.

Let me get this straight - this would be the same sort of idea as an
invariant section in a DFSG document?

If so, there is a particular case that may be of note: incorporation of
OSM data into large projects such as Debian. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Free_Software_Guidelines#Non-software_content
 and thence http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001 . I would like to
see OSM data incorporated as readily as possible, as needed, into
projects like Debian.

Right now, I don't support this. If changes are considered inappropriate
at any point by the originators of the data, then OSM, which is by
definition and tradition a ShareAlike, not-NoDerivs community is not the
place to store such data. I would consider this sort of upload to be in
direct contravention of our license, and delete it on sight.

--
Andrew Chadwick