[OSM-talk] OSM license and optional PD

MP singularita at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:29:24 GMT 2009

I have proposed how a checkbox that allows users to release their
contribution as public domain could be implemented and how we can
solve the "derived data problem" - we won't solve it technically, we
will leave it to the people wishing to take out PD subsection of data,
but we could make it easier for them to determine which data are PD
and which are not by adding few simple features (I think max. few
hours of coding of one person) to OSM plus perhaps writing some
guidelines how to do it.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Optional_public_domain_licensing
and either add the comments there or express them in this list.

Also, allowing people to release their contributions as PD would make
it easier to transition to new license, at these peoples contribution
are automatically compatible with the new license.

This also minimize risk of data deletion, as currently if you
improve/fix data made by others, you risk your contributions can be
deleted or reverted later due to adoption of new license. If you know
the data are in PD, you can fix them without any fear of that :)

Martin