[OSM-talk] Cloudmade: "We are the Wikipedia of maps"

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Mar 11 01:34:18 GMT 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:

>     as an OSM community member, I'm taking offence at the
> following article:

That article can indeed generate some unfortunate
misinterpretations, but as you admit, it's hard to control what
journalists write about you.  Still, your first instinct is to
attack Steve and Cloudmade.  Unfortunately, this matches a pattern
of your previous posts.  What is the outcome you expect?  That
Steve should step down and leave you as heir of OpenStreetMap?
That doesn't sound very likely. Do you have a goal, a strategy?

Or is your frustration based on Geofabrik being a competitor to
Cloudmade that has been far less successful in its marketing?

If you asked the same journalist to interview you about Geofabrik,
that would have a much better effect for the public understanding
of OpenStreetMap's role than your current rants.  It would
immediately become clear that there is more than one company that
can make money out of OpenStreetMap's data.

How should Wikipedia explain to the public that uploaded photos
may be reused commercially?  The French Wikipedia has the answer:
They made a contract with a printer, so you can order prints for a
fee and have them mailed ot your home, http://wikiposter.fr/

A commercial offering says more than a thousand words.

> "Coast says the goal is to give away the mapping data for free
> and charge for services."

This indeed seems to be Steve's goal.  He uses OpenStreetMap for
the first part and Cloudmade for the second. If the journalist had
only changed from Cloudmade to Steve's name in the second
sentence, the article would have been much better: Steve Coast
hopes to do the same (that Wikipedia has done) for maps.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)