[OSM-talk] place=island rendering

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Mar 12 12:24:47 GMT 2009

Ted Mielczarek wrote:
> I've noticed that there's a GNIS import going on in the USA recently,
> and one of the types of POIs being imported are islands, which are
> tagged place=island. Of course, the GNIS database contains some very
> tiny islands, but Mapnik renders place=island up to z10. For example:

I opened ticket #1644 (http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1644) about
the problem.  One solution is to apply the tags to the area rather than
the node. (and thus render appropriately based on the actual size of the
island.  Of course, this also implies deleting the place=island node to
avoid label conflicts.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"