[OSM-talk] immutable=yes Fwd: DEC Lands

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 18:19:43 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Russ Nelson <russ at cloudmade.com> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2009, at 7:43 AM, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
>> . However, I reject the idea that there is any data that belongs in
>> OSM that "makes no sense to edit". If you can't edit it, then by
>> definition it shouldn't be in a wiki-style map.
>
> No one has been able to refute my claim that if someone would enter it
> by hand, it belongs in OSM regardless of its source.  And if it comes
> from surveyed data, then it makes no sense to edit its position.
> Metadata, perhaps.  But unless you've been out in the field with a
> theolodite, you have no business changing the location of the NYS DEC
> Lands position.

i would argue that it does "make sense to edit" the NYS DEC data -
you'll be editing it every time they give you an updated dataset. of
course, its up to you how you deal with other people editing this
data. i would recommend treating it like any other edit conflict -
message the user, talk and hopefully you can sort it out between
yourselves.

(very) roughly 15% of data (nodes) in OSM have never been edited. i
would expect that a very small number of people, possibly zero, will
try and edit this data.

cheers,

matt