[OSM-talk] California bill to limit detail on online mapping tools

OJ W ojwlists at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:27:21 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:
> Q  U  O  T  E  D
>
> "I'm not against the technology; it's fantastic. But we're in an evolving world and we have to change our course as it changes. I'm all for online mapping, but knowing where the air ducts are in an air shaft is not necessary for me to navigate in the city. Who wants to know that level of detail? Bad people do. ... The fact is that I would be remiss in my job if I didn't take this seriously. I'm not interested in censoring Google or the others, but now that we know there's a threat, how could we not address this?"

Now where did we hear this argument before?

General Tagge: What of the Rebellion? If the Rebels have obtained a
complete technical reading of this station, it is possible, however
unlikely, they might find a weakness and exploit it.

Darth Vader: The plans you refer to will soon be back in our hands.

Admiral Motti: Any attack made by the Rebels against this station
would be a useless gesture, no matter what technical data they have
obtained. This station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I
suggest we use it.