[OSM-talk] California bill to limit detail on online mappingtools

MP singularita at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 13:00:25 GMT 2009

> I'm not sure that blurring is what would happen, simply not showing the
> data would be what happens.  But you're right, by having a blank or
> blurred section of an otherwise detailed map just shows that there is
> something of interest there.

Well, even if that stupid law would get to reality, it won't have any
effect on data we supply - as we don't provide any satellite imagery,
we won't have to blur anything (plus OSM does not reside in
california). We could theoretically even mark all the ducts or map
these "sensitive" sites in ridiculous amount of detail, thought I
doubt anybody wants to do it.

> The more sensible option would be to map the area in high enough detail
> to not be obviously "blurred" but not so high as it'll be useful.  Take
> for example what Ordnance Survey do with sensitive military sites, map
> enough of it to not have a blank bit but label it as something
> as innocuous as possible.

Or do not label it at all - there are many maps with unnamed buildings
and you'll never know from the map if it is just another factory area,
warehouse or some secret military installation, even if all buildings,
roads and tracks between them are mapped very accurately (though you
may discover that when you approach that area in person).

I remember from one discussion about this law, that someone said that
in later revision of that law the blur will have to be replaced by
targeting mark, to better reflect reality :)

Martin