[OSM-talk] Multiple addresses/use for one building

paul youlten paul at yellowikis.org
Fri Mar 13 18:39:58 GMT 2009

Sarah,

you could use (or adapt) the Karlsruhe Schema:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Karlsruhe_Schema

As I understand it you make a node _next_ to the way that is the
street to show which side of the street it is and tag it with:

addr:housenumber = "1939"

or if there are multiple apartments at one "node" or doorway:

addr:housenumber = "220a, 222a, 224b, 226b"

or

addr:housenumber = "1 to 550"

... remember it is an open street map and most people just want to
know more or less where a building is likely to be - they can work it
out the exact location from clues on the map or when they are on the
street itself.

I am not sure what to do about shops in a shopping mall I would
probably aim to make the thoroughfares ways (using layer +1, +2 for
the different floors) and put nodes alongside for each shop.... but I
have never actually gone that far. and it does seem a bit extreme....
life is short.

PaulY

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Sarah Manley <Sarah at cloudmade.com> wrote:
> I am working on addressing my neighborhood, and many of the buildings
> have multiple addresses. For example, in my building, each apartment
> has its own address. I am not sure how to label this. I have read
> through the past threads as well as the proposed feature: (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema#Apartment_Blocks.2C_Blocks_of_Flats.2C_Communities.2C_Business_Parks.2C_Campuses_etc
> ... ) This seems to be concerned more with apartment numbers, or
> separate entrances. In our building we have one entrance and each
> apartment door is a different address number.
>
> Also, for buildings such as malls, where there are many stores (I am
> working on San Francisco's Ferry building which has about 30 shops in
> it), are people just adding in separate nodes for each shop, or is
> there a better alternative?
>
> Thanks
> Sarah
>

> Sarah Manley