[OSM-talk] Multilingual map

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Mar 14 17:05:45 GMT 2009

At 05:22 PM 14/03/2009, Ben Laenen wrote:
>On Saturday 14 March 2009, Pierre-André Jacquod wrote:
>> Hi,
>> great stuff...
>>
>> > With my first go a couple of weeks back for 8 languages I did do
>> > fallback to at least 'name' using views as suggested on the wiki,
>> > setting this up for 40 languages however was somewhat less trivial
>> > and I felt that there would be a benefit to being able to display
>> > languages with no fallback...
>>
>> I think, here would a feature like name:local_lang=de,
>> name:de=Deutschland be very useful. This would also help in order to
>> have a map done in a chosen language, without blanks in the country
>> (countries) where this language is the default value.
>> paj
>
>But does it really make sense to tag every object inside a country with
>the same name:local_lang tag? Talk about data duplication...

That *could* be done once on the place=country tag, or taken down to county and state tags if required.

I now try to put enough is_in:* tags so that an intelligent program can trace back where something is.  Either directly by putting is_in:country_code or  is_in:country or indirectly by is_in:county in one tag and then is_in:country_code in the county tag.

Mike