[OSM-talk] Bulk import as a data layer (like gpx currently is)

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Sun Mar 15 16:42:26 GMT 2009

I'm not sure I wrote clearly enough, because it seems like you didn't
understand what I said.  Everything that someone might want to add to
the map should, if imported, actually BE in the map, not in a separate
database or separate layer.  Every editor should show this data to a
user when they go to edit.  Otherwise, if there are things that are
available to a map renderer but not to an editor, how will the editor
know that the things are in the map already?  Perhaps they could use
the existing map renders as a backdrop? Then you'd end up with editors
as second-class citizens to renderers, and put (BACK) in the position
of needing to beg for changes.  That's precisely what we want to avoid
by having an editable map database.