[OSM-talk] Alternatives to wikipedia?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 08:53:12 GMT 2009

While the effort being put into links WITH wikipedia are to be
applauded, many of us are no longer contributing to wikipedia because of
their propensity to kill of material that is not 'noteworthy'!

On a number of occasions in the past I have linked to articles only
later to find the 'censors' message at the end of a link :( and I know
we have had this discussion in the past where other OSM contributors
have found the same problem.

The bottom line in my mind is that if we applied the same heavy handed
rubber to OSM that is applied in wikipedia then many people whould have
walked from here.

All I am probably asking at this point is that links FROM OSM to an
article should bear some what when an 'editor' gets it into his head
that the article should be chopped. But that can only be ensured by
pressure inside wikipedia, and some flag that osm IS linking to it?

In the meantime, the bulk of the links WE need to create at this time
are to secondary place information, and there are lots of alternative -
more open - places that we can link to.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html
      Freely usable up to date facts ...
http://www.geonames.org/ - Only really useful as a cross reference?
      OSM search usually gets the location right, but a link back to
      source search would be useful?
http://www.infoplease.com/atlas/ - ( with advertising :( )
http://wikitravel.org    - Growing library of local information
http://www.viovio.com/travel/ - Growing photo gallery
      ( This site would benefit from replacing MapQuest by OSM ;) )
http://www.flickr.com/places/ Pictures via place name - roughly

Of cause what would be nice would be a common standard for location
names, so we can just create new links automatically. I keep returning
to a nice hierarchic front end for osm, which nowadays is probably just
a different view on the place search?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL