[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia (was: Map tag in Wikipedia)

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 01:54:06 GMT 2009

2009/3/17 Tim 'avatar' Bartel <openstreetmap at computerkultur.org>:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/3/11 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
>> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>>> Anyway, there's a MediaWiki developer meetup in Berlin next month
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> But it would be very cool if someone that *did* know something about
>>> the OSM platform were to go and talk to the people involved there
>>> about getting OSM on Wikipedia.
>>
>> There will be people who know both OSM and Wikipedia, and they will talk
>> about these things.
>
> Yes. "Church of emacs" provided an English translation of our info
> page - thanks!
>
> You can find it here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap
>
> Abstract: Wikimedia Germany is very interested in supporting the
> interaction between OSM and Wikipedia. So the board decided to
> allocate 15.000 Euros for some hardware and initiated a project with
> two main goals:
> - Integrating OSM maps into Wikipedia
> - Building a Map-Toolserver similar to the Wikimedia-Toolserver to
> give any interested OSM developer an easy possibility to build tools
> and special maps without the hassle of building an own infrastructure
> first.
>
> Any further ideas? Add them to the talk page or join us in Berlin!

I'll be coming to the meeting in Berlin and look forward to seeing you
all and discussing OSM intergation into Wikimedia sites.

It would be nice to get all the interested parties together on some
forum before the meeting whether it be IRC, mailing lists or something
else. I added myself to the "Team" section on the wiki but more