[OSM-talk] Wikipedia & canvec/geobase import

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Mar 19 06:53:20 GMT 2009

On 19 Mar 2009, at 06:11, Sam Vekemans wrote:

> Hi all,
> i am wondering what you all think about me adding wikipedia links to
> the different map features?
> Ie. esker, snowshed...
> Or i could add a link to EVERY map feature, including the ones that
> are obvious?
>
> Another alternative is to add a "description:*" or "definition=*"
> (spelled correctly)
>
> what about having a pop-up bubble on features, where the default shows
> the osm wiki page discribing the feature.
> (ie, if your hovering over an unnamed school, the osm article for
> 'school' would be shown. If it was labled, the official school website
> would be shown?
> On the OSM article, there IS (or should be) a wikipedia link.
>
> Then if it is a place or attraction, the default could be wikitravel?
>
> Or perhaps i dont need to add tags as the (to be created software)
> would be able to spot the basic tags & use them?

Sounds good and possibly something like the place template template
should be used where the routing of the different features and tags to
different sources can be adjusted over time. I am keen for us to refer
to a definition for each feature type rather than trying to do it
ourselves - defining things in detail is hard and if Wikipedia as a
good definition of a 'road' or a 'building' that is suitable then we
should use it.

I suggest we include a Sketchup link for structures that are in the
Google Sketchup 3D Warehouse. There is not yet even a tag for sketchup
that I am aware of but it would be a 'bridge' between OSM and a
project where structures are described in great detail. Note that
Google's terms of service make it clear that they don't own the
resulting models but do prohibit end-users from distributing the
content of the 3D Warehouse content within 'mapping or geographic
applications'. To my mind distributing a link to a model is ok,
distributing the model is not.

"Google claims no ownership or control over any Content submitted,
posted or displayed by you on or through the 3D Warehouse. You or a
third party licensor, as appropriate, retain all patent, trademark and
copyright to any Content you submit, post or display on or through the
3D Warehouse and you are responsible for protecting those rights, as
appropriate."

"end users may not aggregate the Content obtained from the 3D
Warehouse for redistribution, and may not use or distribute Content
obtained from the 3D Warehouse in a mapping or geographic application
or service without Google’s prior authorization"
http://www.google.com/intl/en/sketchup/3dwh/tos.html

The level of detail in Google Sketchup is impressive and there are
many 'projects' around the world:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

Regards,

Peter