[OSM-talk] Reverse look-up gazetteer

paul youlten paul.youlten at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:21:09 GMT 2009

I am not doing anything that needs great accuracy - there are a few
hundred pages on Yellowikis have geo tags in this format:

<geo>40 16 05 N 106 53 41 W</geo>

I want to use a bot to go through the wiki and use these geo tags to
make geo categories:

like this: [[Category:USState:CO]]

geonames.org looks pretty good for this.

PaulY

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Someoneelse
<lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
> marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com wrote:
>
>> Lets face it. Everyone else manages this (tomtom, google, garmin, ....)
>
> I'm not sure that "everyone else" does make too good a job of it. Google
> has quite a few village placenames in the wrong place near me
> (Derbyshire, UK).  The free satnav on my Blackberry is OK with UK
> postcodes but struggles with smaller placenames and "street or feature
> in placename".

Tel: +44(0) 7814 517 807