[OSM-talk] creating many stub pages

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 15:37:57 GMT 2009

Hi all,Im wondering if it's OK that i go ahead and create stub pages for
those features that do not have pages?

As I am going through the CanVec feature charts, I want to make sure that
EVERY tag that i am using can be traced back to a wiki page. So then it wont
seem like i am arbitrarily choosing tags (although initially i did, just to
fill in the blanks) :-)

I have about 20 or so stub pages to create, and then they need to be fixed
as a proposal page, or just have a link back if the tag is an attribute for
the main tag. .. ie. There isn't a Wiki page for "railway=abandoned" yet it
is listed in the Values chart.

***
I think it would be appropriate to make the definition of "abandoned" it's
own page, so then renderings of it, as well as sample areas on the slippy
map can be shown as a use-case for it. So then things reminders such as
"include 'stop' nodes where rail connects to a used rail.   FYI,
my definition of "abandoned" would be synonymous with "dis-used" where
 "Railway no longer suitable for rail traffic." .... because if
infrastructure was removed then the fact that it was a 'railway' is ancient
history, as it is now a 'path'...
But anyway, if a page was created, both "abandoned" and "disused" could have
their own pages indicating further what is meant.
***
(I think this topic was discussed before, but it's just an example so no
comment needed) :-) ... i'm cool with whatever the community decides ;-)

Anyway, i'm asking this because i am about to (Virtually, by the end of the
year) lay down thousands of KM of 'abandoned' track, and would like to make
sure the tags represent what the community wants. So just imagine every tag
which is listed in the chart as being duplicated 10,000 times over (or
more).   So in some cases, it might be safer to have no pre-set tags so then
when a user on the ground sees it, can accurately tag it.

Thanks,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails