[OSM-talk] power=line

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Mon Mar 23 13:03:32 GMT 2009

Hatto wrote:

> According to the "map features" the tag power=line may be
> completed by a tag
> "wires=single|double|triple|quad". I have some doubts about the
> meaning of
> "wires" in this case. "Map features" say about the "wires" tag:
>
> > Number of wires per power cable. "single" (1), "double" (2),
> "triple" (3)
> > or "quad" (4). The number of cables may be specified using
> power=cables.
>
> Obviously "power=cables" is a mistake; it should probably be
> "cables=[number]".
>
> Please could some native speakers tell me whether this
> interpretation is
> correct:
>
> A "power line" is a set of cables hanging between "power
> towers"; each cable
> may consist of one or more wires. Thus a German 110 kV line
> named "0802"
> with 6 cables [plus one neutral conductor?], each consisting of
> a single
> wire, may be tagged as:
>
>   power=line
>   cables=6
>   wires=single
>   ref=0802
>
> Because of the scarce documentation of "power=cables" some
> people started to
> tag e.g. "wires=6*single". I think this should be changed to
> cable=6,
> wires=single. Am I right?

I think you are correct (assuming you meant cables=6). The photo on
the Key:power wiki page I would tag as power=line, cables=6,
wires=double. I don't believe the single cable along the very top of
the pylons carries power, though stand to be corrected. I believed
it was for signalling, or earthing, or both - certainly there
doesn't seem to be any insulator.

Perhaps worth correcting the Key:power wiki page?

Ed