[OSM-talk] highway=cycle&footway

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Mar 23 15:57:02 GMT 2009

Andrew Chadwick wrote:
> In this case, Richard's right in that it's an old bridleway still
> used by horses for field access. But it's also been half-surfaced
> nicely for bicycle use, and has blue low-flying-bicycles signs
> along it. And a sign saying "bridleway" and hoofprints. Oh, and
> nearby riding schools and horse mounting steps. And lots of
> foot traffic, plus private motor access. It's pretty much the
> definition of shared use in path form.

Oooh, and it's the proposed NCN 57 too. (Though I expect NCN 57 might
actually end up going a different way, at least at first.)

Clearly the fact that it's officially a bridleway is worth recording,
because it implies all sorts of useful legal permissions and stuff. Yet
clearly most users will actually use it as a cycleway, because there are
more bikes in Oxford than horses.

So three roughly equivalent suggestions:

1. highway=bridleway, surface=paved
2. highway=cycleway, designation=bridleway
3. create two parallel ways: tag one of them as above, and the other as
highway=bridleway, surface=something_that_implies_mud. Potlatch can do this
for you with its parallel way feature (Other Editors Are Available).

cheers
another cycling Richard from Oxfordshire