[OSM-talk] Mapnik: strange prioritisation/appearance of place names

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:09:55 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> Woll Newall wrote:
>
>> It's unclear to me to me how to get this question direct to the people
>> who configure the OSM Mapnik slippy map layer - Should I just enter it
>> as a bug into the bug report area on the mapnik.org site? I took a
>> look at the existing bugs thre and they seem to be about "Mapnik", not
>> "the Mapnik-created slippy map on the OSM site".Does anyone know how
>> to report such things?
>
> What you're looking for is the mapnik component on
> trac.openstreetmap.org but (a) we know about the issue and (b) there is
> already at least one bug there for it.

And I'd encourage you (Woll, that is) to have a look at the mapnik
style rules file. Whilst long and moderately complex, I can see you're
interested in the problem enough that it's worth your while seeing how
it works rather than trying to reverse-engineer the end result.

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/mapnik/osm.xml

So you can see in the section starting with
<Style name="city">
That there are four rules for showing city names, and the lowest one
also has a minimum scale. So at a given zoom level, city names stop
showing up. The min scale of 20000 equates to it showing on zoom 14
but not 15.

Cheers,
Andy