[OSM-talk] (French/Legal) Legal clarification of using the French Cadastral plans

Jack Challen davis65536 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 19:13:16 GMT 2009

Hello,

(Apologies for not sending this to the French list, my French [especially legal-speak French] isn't quite that good)

I've just done a little bit of mapping using JOSM and the rather good plugin for importing the French Cadastral (Land ownership) Plans. I've tried reading the (French) terms and conditions:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cadastre_Fran%C3%A7ais/Legal#Usage_pratique_et_l.C3.A9gal_des_donn.C3.A9es_cadastrales

But I am having trouble working out exactly what I may and may not do, even using Google's translate service.

I believe that I may do the following without attribution:

1) Trace streets, and take names from the Cadastral plans.
2) Errr... think that's it.

I believe if I add add the tag:

source="cadastre-dgi-fr source : Direction Générale des Impôts – Cadastre ; mise à jour : 2009"
 (e.g.)

Then I may:

Trace buildings, plots, rivers, and administrative boundaries.

Could someone with some better French skills please take a look and confirm/deny my beliefs?

cheers
jack

(BTW, kudos to the French Government for actually releasing the data!).