[OSM-talk] Builk upload OSM files greater than 2megs with JOSM

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 19:52:45 GMT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Some of my sample files are greater than 2 megs, and so i have a hard
> time trying to load the file onto JOSM.?
>
> My approach for uploading all that data once i get it into JOSM is simple.
>
> I would select the 1/2 of it, then 1/2 again and delete.  Thus, left
> with only 1/4 of the data for the upload process.   Once it all get
> uploaded.. i would open the file again (make the other one invisable),
> and only select another 1/4 of the data, then upload again.   It wont
> matter if the areas overlapped, as the system recognizes that the data
> already exists. ... it's the same method as if your doing alot of
> editing... and you dont want to get a timeout error, so you only
> upload a part of your edits at a time.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a different way to preview these large
> .osm files before uploading?

You might want to look into bulk-upload.pl - which is much better for
handling huge uploads. If you hop on over to the dev list and ask
about running imports from a local server (i.e. one in the same
datacentre as the OSM db server) you'll get reasonable performance
benefits from lower latency between each node/way/relation
transaction.

Cheers,
Andy