[OSM-talk] Sat Nav idiocy in Todmorden

David Ebling dave_ebling at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 09:18:02 GMT 2009

I think a lot of you probably saw this news story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7962212.stm

I thought people might be interested to see the location on Multimap, which has some nice "bird's eye" photos too.

http://www.multimap.com/s/10OO0OsQ

Indeed, it seems TeleAtlas thinks it is a road, called "Watty Lane." According to the BBC, it was passable by motor vehicles 50 years ago.

I see that since the incident, Welshie has mapped the path concerned in OSM from NPE :) Great idea!

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.70574&lon=-2.10938&zoom=15&layers=0B00FTF

I notice the footpath is well tagged with :

psv: no
foot: yes
created_by: Potlatch 0.10f
highway: footway
surface: dirt
hgv: no
bus: no
source: NPE
car: no

hehe!

I hope that the unclassified road that has been mapped from NPE next to it is correct!

David