[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - h==highway

Chris Hill chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 12:05:21 BST 2009

Maarten Deen wrote:
> Renaud MICHEL wrote:
>
>> Le lundi 30 mars 2009 à 05:46, PAA a écrit :
>>
>>> Request for comments on creating the key:h and making it synonymous with
>>> key:highway.
>>>
>> That's just ridiculous.
>> Don't start duplicating tags with the same meaning.
>>

> No it's not. It's called convenience.

No, it's stupid, unnecessary laziness leading to confusion.

>> And once you start with tag names, you could go on with values and
>> replace "primary" with "p", "secondary" with "s" and so on.
>>

> Then I would like to propose 1 for primary, 2 for secondary, and so on.
> trunk roads would be 0 and highways -1. Add .5 for _link.
>
> Can we implement this tomorrow?
When hell freezes over maybe.

Just use the tools, JOSM and Potlatch help to reduce typing and maintain
consistency, database space saving of this order is inconsequential.
The few oddities can be cleaned up easily.  Confusion using such short
keys would reign.

Cheers, Chris