[OSM-talk] Rendering of footways with bicycle=yes

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Fri May 1 11:10:43 BST 2009

Ed

I'm not surprised you're confused - there is indeed a great deal of
confusion! So everyone is likely to give you a different answer.

As someone who has lived for a good number of years both in the USA and in
Europe (both England and Germany) I can relate to your problems with cycling
in the USA!

In my experience - such as it is - practice in OSM (with regard to
non-motorised highways) tends to start out with what makes very good sense
in Germany and then gets modified to take account of what makes sense in the
UK before being further modified by inputs from the USA and elsewhere. The
UK system is almost unique inasmuch as there is a very clearly laid down
legal set of definitions for "public rights of way" - but unfortunately the
legal situation does not always correspond to what is 'common sense' in
terms of customary usage or what you see 'on the ground'.

I tend to think that the tag highway=cycleway is used in three broadly
different situations: (a) where there is a dedicated lane alongside a
vehicular highway - separated from it or not - that is designed either
exclusively (usually) for cyclists or occasionally jointly with pedestrians;
(b) where there is a dedicated way - usually paved and in an urban area -
that is designated by signage as being for cyclists only or for cyclists and
pedestrians - the way may also be split by a painted road marking into two
parallel lanes (separated only by the marking) - one each for cyclists
(only) and the other for pedestrians (only); (c) where there is a way -
usually paved and usually in rural areas - that has been created primarily
with cyclists in mind (but which - in the UK at least to the best of my
knowledge - is also available for use by pedestrians.

Given that situation the potential for confusion is obviously high and the
tagging tends a bit to depend on whether it was done by someone who is
mostly a cyclist or someone who is mostly a walker.

If you scan this list you will find a lot of discussion as to the pros and
cons of various approaches - the wiki also gives somewhat varying clues
according to the latest edit!

At present - although I have modified my own approach several times in the
light of comments from others on this list - I tend to use highway=cycleway
ONLY for the three cases listed above. Other people might use it more
widely. I tend to modify tagging with things like
foot/bicycle=no/permissive/yes where some clarification would seem helpful.
In the UK I also use designation= to reflect legal status without regard to
the physical condition on the ground (which can either be reflected in the
main highway= tag or by adding tags such as surface= or tracktype= ).

I don't think any of this is going to be resolved completely in the near
future so I am sure most people would say 'feel free to use your own best
judgement'!

Mike Harris

  _____