[OSM-talk] Rendering of footways with bicycle=yes

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Fri May 1 12:01:46 BST 2009

In the UK the term 'bridleway' tends to be confined to either (a) public
bridleways - where the term has a legally defined meaning, or (b) permissive
bridleways, usually detectable from signage.

I would tag the former as highway=bridleway, horse=yes, bicycle=yes (default
in English law), foot=yes, designation=public_bridleway plus any appropriate
surface= or tracktype= .

I would tag the second as highway=track, horse=permissive - with no
designation= tag and again surface= and/or tracktype= as appropriate.

Others may see it differently ...

Mike Harris