[OSM-talk] osm2pgsql and proper/legacy mercator

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Fri May 1 17:55:34 BST 2009

Hi, according to the source code, the legacy option -M is using this projection:

  [PROJ_MERC]    = {
     descr: "WGS84 Mercator",
     proj4text: "+proj=merc +datum=WGS84  +k=1.0 +units=m +over +no_defs",
     srs:3395,
     option: "" }

Unlike EPSG:900913, that projection is not assuming that the Earth is a perfect sphere, therefore:

- it seems to be cartographically more correct
- it probably needs far more computation
- the result probably differs from that of EPSG:900913 by a few meters

Regards
Juan Lucas