[OSM-talk] Is there any "desktop app" for OSM data?

MP singularita at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:27:47 BST 2009

I wonder whether there is a desktop app for offline viewing of
Openstreetmap data. Something in which I'll put either planet dump or
some of its excerpts (like one country or continent) and then I can
view (and perhaps also search, route, measure distances, etc ....) the
map.

Editors (josm, merkaartor, ...) are unusable for that (they can't
process OSM data in size of entire countries, at least not with
reasonable speeds) and it seems that most software on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Software is mostly either for small
devices (cellphones, PDA's) or require internet connection (since they
fetch tiles from tileserver or something like that)

Any tip for program, that will be suitable for offline
viewing/searching/routing of OSM data on desktop PC (or larger
notebook)? (I run Linux, though I may try using Wine for Windows
programs ....)

Martin