[OSM-talk] [OSM-newbies] avoid repeating the name tag twice

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Tue May 5 19:16:14 BST 2009

Hi,

this is an interesting question. I have a slightly related question
regarding the naming of objects in OSM.
I was wondering in that case the :ua is actually needed since it is
actually the native language of the place. Wouldn't it make more sense
to have simply addr:street: and keep the one for English.
I am not sure that here a translation is actually needed. If you need to
go to an address, unless it is something extremely famous, you will be
inputting the local name not any foreign name.
So if this scenario was to prevail, ua and en suffix added, how do we
know that it is the native language?
I suspect that in most cases, the only language that you will find is
only the native language.

Emilie Laffray